Tuesday, May 2, 2017

I Survived Nashville Hot Chicken From Pepperfire

#Nashville Trip - Hot Chicken!

On my trip to Nashville I had to try some hot chicken. Looking online and asking around you get a lot of different answers on where to go. I went to 1 place but I'm guessing that your favorite place is probably close to where you live or work and there are lots of good ones.

I picked Pepperfire out by East Nashville.

I rode a city rental Nashville B-cycle out there from downtown to the Titans stadium and along a nice bike path until I cut across town on some rolling hills.




It is a small place where you order at the counter, get a number, and find a place to sit.

There was a fairly long line when I got there but it moved quickly. It gave me time to decide what I wanted, how hot I wanted it, and what sides to get. I changed my mind 4 or 5 times as it was difficult to decide.

I went with a favorite: chicken and waffles. At the order counter I wasn't sure about the heat level so they gave me a sample of medium. It was hot and about perfect for what I was looking for.

I don't drink much beer but they had a Yazoo Daddy-O Pilsner American Pale Lager and if I'm having hot food sometimes I'll have that style of lighter beer to drink. Out here in California that is usually Mexican food and Mexican beer.

So how was it? It was great! The chicken isn't flavored with just hot peppers it had an interesting flavor with some cumin in the dusting I think. It was fried just right.

Was it hot? Yes! From reading online reviews I think "hot" can be different to many people. Say if you spent your life in Half Moon Bay a hot day would be different than a hot day for somebody that lived in Phoenix.

Their medium was far above Crystal or Tabasco, maybe a touch above Sriracha sauce, but below the hot version of Sichuan-style chili oil on the tables at Chinese restaurants. I can imagine their hottest chicken is a little above Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce. That stuff is really hot!

The waffle was good, but no crispy exterior made it more bread like. It did have a good flavor.

When I combined a piece of hot chicken with a bit of waffle and dipped it in the "Smuckers Breakfast Syrup" it was heavenly. Lots of flavors in one bite and the sweet made the heat just a little more mellow. Or maybe the heat made the sweet more interesting. Hmm Sriracha Waffle Syrup anyone?

The cold Yazoo Brewing Company Daddy-O Pilsner was perfect in the mix as well.


When I was done I took a different ride back to downtown along the roads and trails near Shelby Park and the Cumberland River.

It was all good in the East Nashville Hood.

1 bummer - no XXL Pepperfire Hot Chicken t-shirts! Oh well...

P.S. here is how they describe their Hot Chicken
Southernfied (no heat)
Light Mild (a little heat)
Mild (noticeable heat)
Medium (significant heat) I had this
Hot (painful for most)
X Hot!* and XX Hot!*
*these will jump on you and won't let go!

No comments:

Post a Comment