Tuesday, August 22, 2017

From 2000 My Paper Welcome To KFOG


Lots of radio stations used to publish a newsletter to publicize what they did. When I started at KFOG in 2000 they did a profile of me in the October Fog Tracks.

Reading this now I am surprised how truthful I was and how they included bands I liked that didn't really fit the KFOG format. Most stations would edit that out or change it. That wasn't the KFOG way. They were really honest with listeners and if you were in to a hobby or activity you could talk about it. There is no mention of the station I was at just before KFOG :)

At KFOG there were some unique personalities and I thought (but was never told) that I would be the "regular guy" that fishes for salmon, and likes the Raiders and 49ers, and all of that stuff. I did and I talked about it.

For the first month or so I was pretty nervous. I had to change from slightly wild Alternative guy to a much more mature adult KFOG guy. I was really comfortable in my previous job but it was like narrowcasting compared to the huge audience of KFOG. I felt like a rookie at Lakers training camp with Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. Back then the Lakers were good the Warriors were not!

I worked it out and found my groove and loved working there for the next 10 years!

I still like all the bands I mentioned and The Powerpuff Girls but no more powerlifting these days.

Things always change in radio. Like everyone else I got my job because a DJ wasn't there anymore.

In that spirit I have and always will wish the best to every DJ at every station if it is a place I worked at or a competitor. No matter what we get to do a fun job for a little while then somebody else gets to sit in what I call "The Big Chair."


click for full size


click for full size


click for full size


click for full size



No comments:

Post a Comment