Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Every Picture Tells A Story My First RAGBRAI A Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

The 2017  Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa aka RAGBRAI
lots of my  favorite people and jerseys
click a photo for a bigger version

I met some Bay Area riders that have been listening to me on the radio for years

I called in RAGBRAI reports to the Good Morning Bob show at 99.3 The Vine the station where I do mid-days every day at 6:45 am Napa time. It was 8:45 am Iowa time



(almost)

The roads were great. It was like this for most of the 411 miles

The reception we got was always warm and friendly. We felt like Superheros!

some were dressed like Superheros

This was a favorite. The Old Spokes Home aka Ossian, Iowa Senior Hospice had residents out on the porch to check out all these crazy RAGBRAI riders. It would be a long day. There were about 15,000 of us. Many of us dressed up for the occasion.

Ossian also had some cool bicycle art

Me having breakfast - so far the jersey has worked.
Someone said if I rode bent over it said "Run Me Over"



Watermelon Man


She rode with her dog Suzy if you took a photo you were asked to donate money to Chicago Canine Rescue. They got $10 for this shot


Team Pink Floyd pigging out 

hamburger loving Team Wimpy

A team for me Big Rick Stuart - Team Big

we were all on this team the day it rained

Team Medium Pace - maybe too fast for me. I saw Team Stop A Lot maybe more my speed

from Truckee. Ca Team Donner Party "We Eat The Slow Ones"

Team Bad Music played songs like "Having My Baby" and "Chevy Van" on their bike speakers. If you don't know "Chevy Van" best keep it that way.
'Cause like a princess she was laying there 
Moonlight dancing off her hair 
She woke up and took me by the hand 
She's gonna love me in my Chevy van

Air Force Cycling Team keeping an eye on Team Abby Normal they are a band

Iowa Bicycle Butterflies

In the Pork Belly camp professional New York City musician Trumpet Chick Alicia Rau played Reveille to wake us up and Taps at night. She also played on the ride at the top of hills to encourage riders. 

Team Flamingo playing in the water. Team Flamingo has a serious purpose - to raise money for Grin n Grow Child Care in Waterloo, Iowa. They help fund playgrounds and scholarships for low-income families. more

Cute jersey with puppy coming out of the back pocket. I didn't see the front.

Wazzzzzzzup?!

All my California people will know this logo. In Iowa the bear is replaced with a pig. Add in a Mohawk on the helmet to complete the look.

I love this photo. By far the happiest couple I saw all week on RAGBRAI

server joke


Pork Belly Ventures jersey and wearing Da Brim on his helmet. They were really popular.

not taking it too seriously

my favorite t-shirt

the famous Jens Voigt saying "SHUT UP LEGS" his response to feeling tired at the end of his bicycle races. I felt like saying that at about 45 miles on every 65 mile day.

yep


No comments:

Post a Comment