Wednesday, August 4, 2004

On vacation Thursday to Monday: Baja, fishing in Loreto

It'll be my third time doing this trip. Tom Stienstra one of the outdoor writers at the Chronicle wrote about his trip earlier this year here. It is a great place to go.



Some of the things he didn't cover in his article are the Missions, one up the mountain west of town in San Javier and one in town in Loreto.



I am looking forward to the trip. Loreto is an easy place to get to in Baja, with flights from LAX, and it is cheap and relaxing. None of the party crowds of Cabo, and you are on the beautiful Sea of Cortez. The fishing can be so good your arms get tired fighting the 30 pound Dorado (mahi-mahi).



A couple of years ago the fishing was just like that. We were on fish all day. The Dorado are really fast and strong and jump out of the water a lot. One of my friends had a nice fish on his line that jumped completely out of the water 14 times in a 15 minute fight.



This time we are not taking a cooler to bring back fish, it will all be just catch and release except what we take to eat for the day to a local resturant.



I have been to baja a bunch. On a trip in 95 my buddy John took some video's and I made them into Quicktime movies. Watch the Baja movies.



I like to book my fishing trips with Big Game Fishing of Oakland. They have good prices and a long time relationship with the resorts in Baja. When I go to Loreto I stay at The Oasis a nice family run resort on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment