Thursday, November 2, 2017

BBQ Simple


click photos for larger version

I think that's a good name for a cookbook. BBQ Simple. So many BBQ books seem like they are for reading not for using. I agree all the details are important and it can be interesting to read about all the aspects that go along with some good low and slow cooking.  But sometimes you just want to cook something to eat. You aren't in a competition, don't own a food truck, or catering service, or run a restaurant. Here's my favorite BBQ cookbook. I like all of Ray Lampe's books.

I recently made some really good pulled pork on my Big Green Egg and it was about as easy as could be. I saw some pre rubbed ready to cook Swift Premium Dry Rubbed Santa Maria Boneless Petite Pork Shoulder Roast and thought I'd give it a try.

As you can see by the label it is ready for a crock pot slow cooker but I was going to use it on my BBQ.


I didn't do anything to prep it. I got my BBQ going with some hardwood charcoal and some big apple wood chunks. I used the Big Green Egg plate setter for indirect heat. Any indirect setup would work on a BBQ like a Weber or even a gas grill. Check out The Snake Method. I put a pan of water and the grate on top of that and the pork with a temperature probe centered over all of that.

The BBQ temps ran about 275 to 300 and at first the pork shoulder was about 50 degrees. (I set it out from the fridge for an hour or so before I put it on.)

That was it. I didn't add any charcoal or wood or baste or mop or anything else. I just looked at the temperature on the BBQ to make sure it was running below 300 and above 250.

During the day the pork slowly came up to 100 then 150 then 175 and finally it hit 200 about 5 hours after I started. The BBQ temps were dropping as it ran out of fuel but with the lower vents open it stayed above 225 so that was OK. I let it go a little more to get it to 205 and took it off. It cooked down to a perfect size for dinner for 2.

There was a small cap of BBQ "bark" on top that was a little dry so I threw that away. The rest of it was moist and full of flavor. It was a little salty but the Heinz Kansas City Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce balanced it out.

I am a fan of these sauces. They are regional style BBQ sauces with Kansas City, Texas, Carolina, and more. Check them out here.

It was a Paleo friendly dinner with pulled pork and spaghetti squash dressed with a little bit of California olive oil.

You can do this. BBQ Simple.




No comments:

Post a Comment