Thursday, January 18, 2018

New Twist on Chicken Soup Low Carb Thai Curry Coconut Soup

click for larger photo


#mindblown from this great Low Carb Thai Curry Coconut Soup found at twosleevers.com

This soup was easy to make, has a lot of flavor, and could be made vegetarian with a few substitutions. 

The name of this soup alone probably sounds good but check out the list of ingredients. Boneless chicken thighs, coconut milk, honey, soy sauce, fish sauce, green onions, garlic, ginger, lime juice, cilantro, grape tomatoes, straw mushrooms, and Thai yellow curry paste.

All of that flavor comes out balanced and the broth stays light and fresh tasting. The coconut milk isn't heavy or dairy like but has a lot of flavor and is the base for everything else.

I didn't have time to get to the super market so I just went to a small unsuper market for some things.

Instead of a can of straw mushrooms I just used a small can of whole mushrooms.

Instead of grape (or cherry) tomatoes I just used a chopped up regular sized tomato. I bet with the grape tomatoes it would be even better.

The coconut milk at the store was the kind in the carton not the can. It was sweetened so I cut down on the honey in the recipe.

I ordered the Thai yellow curry paste online here. It is pretty hot in concentrate form and this calls for just 2 tablespoons in about 2 cups of liquid. I would say on a 1 to 10 scale this soup was at about a 3. Add more to make it hotter. It definitely adds a lot of flavor with the heat.

For the chicken I had some frozen boneless chicken thighs. I just dropped them in the Instant Pot with the other ingredients and used the "Soup" setting for 12 minutes. At Two Sleevers the recipe says the soup setting prevents the Instant Pot from getting too hot and boiling. That would be bad for the coconut milk and maybe everything else.

What a smart pot :)

I did use the Saute button after I released the pressure, shredded the chicken, and added the last group of ingredients. I let it heat back up and cook those ingredients just a little.

Total time to make this was about 25 minutes total with my Instant Pot. There are also notes for using a slow cooker (4 to 8 hours) and for cooking on the stove top.

If you are looking for a different chicken soup to make this might be it.











No comments:

Post a Comment