Thursday, April 8, 2004

Crogans: Many mourn restaurateur Bob Gattis

The Montclarian reports on the sad death of Bob Gattis, the man behind Crogans.



Crogans is just a local restaurant in the Montclair area of Oakland. It has always had a mix of blue haired ladies and their male friends slammin' the liquid lunch, yuppies, regular guys and gals, and well everybody is welcome there. The Cobb salad and French Onion soup are my favorites.



I've had many a good time there. After a salmon fishing trip to Monterey bay my friend Rob and I met his parents and my dad there. They cooked our fresh salmon for us and we had a great time. It was a really memorable dinner for me as dad was in failing health at the time, but was still able to make it, and Rob's parents were getting along in years as well. Rob had caught his first fish of the day on an old 50's vintage rod and reel that his dad had given him many years ago. It was a great day of fishing on the bay, limits for us, whales coming within 200 ft of my boat and the great dinner topped it all off. That is just one story. There are many.



Richard "The Cowboy" hangs out there and he and my dad were longtime friends from the early 60's. Richard would see me and tell the same stories to me and my dad, and the same dirty jokes as well. I always laugh anyway.



I really like going there on Saturday afternoons. Nice and relaxing. It is not in my neighborhood, but it has always seemed like my neighborhood place.



In 1999 they had a big fire there and decided to do some upgrades during the rebuild. It seemed to take a long time to finish. Reading the article at the link it says he kept the staff on payroll while they were closed for the rebuild.



Thanks Bob, nice joint you go there. Go Bears!

No comments:

Post a Comment