Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Spike Lee pre-judge NASCAR fans?

I like Spike, I like his movies. I liked Crooklyn, when the family is watching the old Knicks games, classic scenes.



But I hope he was probably joking a little when he said this:



"I just imagine hearing some country-and-Western song over a loudspeaker at NASCAR: 'Hang them n-- up high! Hang them n-- up high!' I'm not going to no NASCAR,' Lee vows in the August issue of Playboy"



Living the upper class lifestyle in NY probably doesn't give him much contact with real NASCAR fans. Up at the Sonoma race a few weeks ago he would have seen all colors in the stands having fun. I was mentioning that to my buddies at the race. For sure Spike Lee has never heard of former Oakland resident Bill Lester racing for the Toyota NASCAR Truck team.



But you can if you go to his web page at billlester.com







"Bill's path to NASCAR racing fame has been very different from that of most of the drivers that he competes against. Bill earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1984, and used that to join the Hewlett-Packard Company (H-P).



While working for H-P, Bill won the SCCA Series Northern California Region Rookie of the Year title, and the SCCA GT-3 Regional Road Racing Championship in 1985 and 1986 respectively."



His story would make a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment