Thursday, August 18, 2005

seen on the web: I put Tiger on a Dell...

Over at the Deal Mac message boards I saw this post. I know other people are doing this... And everyone is asking the same thing. When Apple switches to Intel chips on the hardware, can we run X and XP on the same machine? Man the crackers and hackers will surely try. They already are!

Here's what Sam V said:

I put Tiger on a Dell...
Well, I was staying at my parents' house, and they have Dimension 8400. With all the talk about Tiger on x86, I had to try it. It was a pretty easy install. I obtained the VMWare patched image. I put a spare 20 gb HD in the Dell and ran DD to copy the image to the HD. Then I switched the BIOS to start up from the other HD. It booted right into OS 10.4.1.

It was very, slow, which surprised me. The network didn't work, but I put in a 3rd party 100BT card, and then it was fine. iPhoto started. iTunes didn't. After all the reports of blazing fast systems, I imagine there is something wrong with the way I set it up. I would liken the speed to that of running Jaguar on my old beige G3.

Anyway, it was one of those 'cool to do' things. But it has no application for me right now (I have a PB and a G5). If anyone else is dying to do this, they can PM me - there were a few pitfalls and tricks that I needed to figure out - nothing too difficult, though.

Here is a pic of the setup. I won't post it, to save bandwidth.

http://www.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment