Friday, September 9, 2005

Live shows from Labor Day pt. 2 Oak Art n Soul Fest.

Part 1 here

After the trip to Konocti we came back and I hosted part of the KFOG stage at Sunday's Oakland Art and Soul Festival.

They block off downtown Oakland and setp up a variety of stages with dance groups, bands, kids entertainment, and more. It is really family friendly. Food and arts for days. The art ranges all styles, from t-shirts to oils, photographs and more.

Our stage started with local band Zachary Ross and the Desolation Angels. Think of a soulful singer songwriter with a horn section. Maybe Ben Harper meets Tower of Power. They did a nice set. I'm way a fan now and will be seeing them more. Check out more of the band here and watch a video of "No Worries" here.

Next on stage was Carbon Leaf from Richmond, VA.

These guys are pretty big in the Mid-Atlantic area, and we have been playing their latest cd since it came out. Good rock/pop music with great lyrics. The kind of songs that you can listen to a lot and pick up new twists in the lyrics.
---
"Our goal is to write something that's meaningful, but in a catchy way," Privett notes. "That's the kind of music I like to hear."

Carbon Leaf's latest album, Indian Summer (Vanguard, 2004), is pretty much that. The opening track, "Life Less Ordinary," storms out of the gate with all the hip-shaking, finger-snapping groove of a post-slacker film soundtrack. "The night you came into my life/ Well it took the bones of me, took the bones of me/ You blew away my storm and strife/ and it shook the bones of me, shook the bones of me," sings Privett.

It's the repeating line that works, catapulting the song from indie obscurity to pop nascency.
---

more

Talented live players, snappy songs and lyrics, a nice combination. Amazon link to Carbon leaf CD's.

Aimee Mann was up next and the stage area was getting pretty packed. She has developed a big following since her work on the Magnolia soundtrack. She played with her band and was crowd pleasing. Her new CD is called The Forgotten Arm. Without a lot of radio airplay she has delevoped a really loyal and pretty big following. She's on tour now.

Blues Traveler were the headliner on our stage and they really are great to see at an outdoor festival. The first time I saw them was at KFOG's KaBoom. I beacame a big fan and I think when you see them you will be as well. The new CD Bastardos! is out soon and they are coming to The Fillmore with Carbon leaf on the bill. I'm there.

The Oakland Art And Soul Festival is a great thing for Oaktown. It cost only 5 bucks this year, and there was a lot of entertainment. I should have bought some artwork, but didn't. Next year I will.

It was a long day Sunday, Monday I planned a boat trip to Sausalito to their Art Festival to see Los Lobos. Would I go or bail?

coming soon...

1 comment:

  1. Damn, I wish I could have been there. Especially for the Blues traveler set. I caught a couple of HORDE festivals at the shoreline and they are definitely a great live act! One year, they jammed with DMB and Lenny. Awesome!

    Hmmmm, did you say they're coming to the Fillmore? I'll have to check it out...

    ReplyDelete