Tuesday, August 23, 2005

This is What You Want: a warm weather guayabera shirt; This Is What You Get:

I'm hosting part of the KFOG stage at this years Oakland Art and Soul Festival. Blues Traveler, Aimee Mann, Carbon Leaf, and Zachary Ross and Desolation Angels are playing. It is a really fun event all 3 days of Labor Day weekend in downtown Oakland. The entertainment is pretty awesome this year. If you're coming, don't eat before you get there, food for days...

Anyway I want to look good, not just slobbin' it like a typical radio dj on stage, so I'm going with the guayabera this year.

Get yours at Penners. They have the good stuff, nice quality and nice selection.

for more read this:
----
You could say my husband's obsession started with Canul Jr.

That was the brand name sewn onto the neckline of a certain four-pocket, lightweight cotton shirt, a guayabera, that my husband bought nearly 20 years ago in Mexico.

He became attached to the loose-fitting shirt--or "my Canul Jr.," as he came to call it. Upon learning that the guayabera had long been prized in Latin American countries for its ability to keep wearers cool and crisp in sweltering temperatures, my husband wore his faithfully during hot weather.

I dared not criticize the shirt, even if its boxy, untucked style spoke a certain fuddy-duddy language that at the time I felt was best spoken by an older, checkers-in-the-park-playing generation.

A beloved shirt lasts only so long. Over time the fabric developed the shine of a thousand washes. He loved it more. A button fell off. The collar frayed. Eventually the guayabera mysteriously disappeared from his closet.

I promised to buy him a new guayabera online. Why not? In a summer when it has suddenly become fashionable for shirttails to go untucked, the barrel-chested silhouette of the guayabera wearer has gone hip. I was ready to admit that like other styles that scream retro, the shirt's firm refusal to evoke a world any more modern than Ricky Ricardo's was the key to its charm.
----
more at the link

No comments:

Post a Comment