Monday, August 8, 2005

big music weekend at Konocti

Well I headed up to Lake County this weekend to hang out in the warm weather and see a couple of shows. On Saturday under a clear night it was Los Lonely Boys and Shelby Lynne. Shelby opened, she has quite a life story and writes some pretty damn serious songs. Live she had a tight band and rocks pretty good. She will be in the movie "Walk The Line" playing (a young I am guessing) Carrie Cash, Johnny Cash's mom.

I'd go see her anytime.

Los Lonely Boys headlined. Man! These guys have 1 album out, and are way too young to be so talented. They call it "Tex-ican Rock." They are 3 brothers with a mean Stevie Ray Vaughan style lead guitar and 3 part harmonies. Their range moves from hard core blues, to spanish sung ballads to crazy guitar solos. I love this kind of stuff. Everyone who sees them live becomes a huge fan. When you see them you'll see why.

There is a Live DVD and a new CD on the way.

That was a cool double bill.

I had a little work to do Sunday. Then I cleaned up and thought it was such a nice night out I'd catch Hank Williams Jr. I'm a big outlaw country fan but I've never seen him, and his live shows are pretty legendary. So I got my GA ticket and went. The crowd was all over the place. Lots of cowboy hats and Cowboy Up shirts etc, but there were also some older fans, a couple with a walker made their way past me, and lots and lots of young 20 somethings. I think Hank Jr. had a younger crowd than Los Lonely Boys! Who knew?!

Hank Jr. is like the Mick Jagger of country. He has the act nailed. Totally crowd pleasing, he has great songs to play, and stories to tell. He had a full band, but for the middle portion of his act he played solo guitar. The songs ranged from "All My Rowdy Friends" party tunes to heartbreaker country ballads. The crowd sang along and went nuts after every tune. Almost like the bar scene in The Blues Brothers. But no chicken wire. Hey I was right there singin' along as well.

Hank really rocked it. His voice sounds a lot like Merle Haggard to me, I'd love to hear them do a tune together.

He really does throw a party at his shows. I don't drink anymore, but man if I did I'd just get wrecked at a Hank Jr. show, and grab a room afterwards. But I headed home after singing along to "Family Tradition."

I drove over Mt. St. Helena like a bit of a nut singing along to my Billy Stewart cd. Got home a little after midnight. it was a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment